Monday, June 29, 2009

Summer Fun in Kodiak



It's June 28th, seven days after the Summer Solstice and days are getting shorter (the day after the Solstice we already lost one minute of daylight!). To make matters worse, tomorrow I start work for 5 consecutive weeks. So, to take advantage of my last day of vacation, this is what I did.

7:00 Fed the dogs. Read the paper.
9:20 Cindy dropped me off with my kayak while she went to church. I tried kayaking around Abercrombie State Park but the waves were too high (there were some 5 footers near the rocks) so I stayed in Mill Bay.
11:30 Cindy returns to pick me up and have lunch. Then it is siesta time.
3:50 Cindy goes off to tennis and I go bike out to the water reservoir. We had been there a few days before. But as I rested I saw something that wasn't there at that time. Three fresh deposits of bear scat. Needless to say, I cut my rest time short and pedaled back quickly. 
5:30 Washed the car and had dinner
7:00 Took the dogs on a short 2 miles hike to Island Lake and down the creek back home.
8:30 We are both off to the VFW shooting range to practice. Cindy is liking this sharp shooting stuff (I think because she is better than I am). 
9:30 Then it's back home for showers, resting and lowering the black-out shades to get some rest before work the next day.

The sun has been shining for weeks, the air temp is 61 and the water temp is a warm 49 degrees! The only good thing about work is that I can do much after leaving the hospital since the days are still quite long. 

Hope you too are having fun.

No comments: