Saturday, July 18, 2009

Small Town Theater

Carlos and I went to the movies tonight. We've lived in Kodiak for 2 years and this is our first trip to the local cinema. I guess we've lived with DVD's too long. Anyway, with the opening of the newest Harry Potter movie, we had to go.

Opening night was Thursday and there was a line all around the building of people waiting to get inside. I don't think that happens very often. We waited until Saturday night and were worried about crowds and parking since it was the weekend. We arrived at the theater about 15 minutes before show time and parked in the grocery lot (about 30 feet from the theater door). Although most of the theater gradually filled, we were able to find good seats.

With this feature, there are no reduced prices. We had to pay the regular price of $5.50 each! I think that's one of the few things that costs less than in the "lower 48".

As we walked into the theater half the people there called out "hello" and so we felt right at home. Everyone chatted with friends across the aisle until the lights went out just before the previews. It was rather nice. Oh yes, when the movie was over, I think everyone was picking up their trash off the floor before they left. It still kind of amazes me what I see here. Small town living is nice.

No comments: